Skip to main content

Teaching Writing Ideas

Here are some writing ideas to get you started on helping students write more effectively, clearly, creatively and concisely. The three C's. Using the "Dream Journals"©, have students journal these ideas daily. Here is a link to pics of my Dream Journals:


My Future Husband/Wife
Students write a paragraph on their future husband or wife, giving as much detail as possible using strong verbs and adjectives that modify.

Friendship Acrostic Poem
Write a word for each letter that describes a friend. Write a paragraph of a special day with your friend; write alliterative sentences using your friends name or characteristics; write a paragraph explaining why friendships are important; write what's special about your friend.

Contrast Comparison/Persuasive Argument
I believe in God/I don't believe in God. Write down five reasons why you believe and five why you don't believe. Write a persuasive paragraph that convinces me to believe or disbelieve.

Artistic Pictures
Draw a landscape, winter summer, spring or fall. What things remind you of this season? What animals are out during this season? Write a letter to the editor using a topic from your words about the things the season(s) reminds you of; create a fashion layout and describe the fashions for a particular season.

Nutrition at a Glance
List your favorite foods—number them in order of the least favorite and the most favorite. Choose either or and research; nutrient content and value; history and info about the food; recipes using the food; menu using the food adding other things…..;find a recipe and change it or alter it to create something unique;find and cut pictures that show the ingredients of that food; choose one of the ingredients and create an advertisement for it or a commercial using a comic strip.

Interview skills, observation and research
Interview three people about a series of questions you create on a topic. Write a paragraph about that person and their responses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos - Google+

Photos - Google+ I am loving the idea of making wreaths.  I love artsy-craftsy things and designing them.  Having fun learning about  how to make things for the home.

God's Wonderful Creation

I have found a slice of heaven on earth at least for me that is. I decided that I needed to get closer to God so I started communing with him at the beach everyday--early in the morning. What was so great about this was when I finished reading, praying and praising God, I got so much clarity about my life and life in general. It was a great experience, one I wondered why it took me so long to figure out. Anyway, after going to the beach I decided to up the anty and try a well-known garden hide-away in Chicago called the Japanese gardens. I have been going there for about a week now and decided, since I'm a somewhat amateur photographer to document my time there in my journal and through pictures. Here are a few pics I took--I could not possibly capture all the magic and wonder of this place, but I did my best. I hope you like them. And yes, the place is as surreal as it looks. From this experience, all I can say is find a "special" place to meet with God daily. Yo

African American History and our Children

   Our children are our responsibility and no one elses.  It is great that others reach out in love and concern for us, but love and care starts at home first and then it extends to the larger community.  I'm not talking about this subject as an expert.  I'm just a parent and former teacher with concerns.  I noticed that I did not expose my own two daughters enough to the rich and bountiful history that we have---I have failed them and myself, but it doesn't stop there.  Admitting guilt and shame is the first step, I now have to actively change it.  Thus, I have decided to do just that.....I've created a program called "History through Design," and wrote a folktale titled "How Colored People Got to be Black," which helps all children celebrate our unique physical features. I also noticed during African American History month, which should be ALL year long, that we as African American parents and caregivers did not do such a great job of passing o