Skip to main content

African American History and our Children

  
Our children are our responsibility and no one elses.  It is great that others reach out in love and concern for us, but love and care starts at home first and then it extends to the larger community.  I'm not talking about this subject as an expert.  I'm just a parent and former teacher with concerns.  I noticed that I did not expose my own two daughters enough to the rich and bountiful history that we have---I have failed them and myself, but it doesn't stop there.  Admitting guilt and shame is the first step, I now have to actively change it.  Thus, I have decided to do just that.....I've created a program called "History through Design," and wrote a folktale titled "How Colored People Got to be Black," which helps all children celebrate our unique physical features.

I also noticed during African American History month, which should be ALL year long, that we as African American parents and caregivers did not do such a great job of passing on our truth either--this is a community problem.  At least I did not see enough evidence of such.  Yes, major organizations did, as they always do, but few of us individually even broached the subject.  Could it be because we have fallen into the antiquated belief that we have "arrived" and we don't need to discuss the past anymore....well our past is what created our present and if we're smart will create our future.  Praising, encouraging and remembering our past is about more than arriving.  It is about celebrating how God has brought us a mighty long way and continues to do so today.  It is about not letting our children forget the cost paid for their freedoms, today, so they don't view life so cheaply in the future.

Still some of us think that any mention of African American History denotes racism and creates division....why are we literally the ONLY group of people who believe this?  Every other culture celebrates who they are....they revel in their uniqueness and their contributions.  How else would their children know who they are and what their responsibility is in the world.  God has given us a great platform....to continue to fight for justice for all people, including ourselves...and because JUSTICE has been oft denied to us, we the more should be shouting it in the streets.  Our children need a reason to exist as well as why they exist.  Their history helps to tell their story and helps them to understand this. As Christians, the bible demands this from us.

I often say that if African American children knew the rich history from whence they came, they would not behave the way they do or at the least, would begin to question their purpose in a world full of hate.  What are we afraid of?  Why do we feel a disconnect from who we are?  Why can't we embrace being both African and American?  One does not extinguish the other or at least it shouldn't.  In fact, the world is waiting for our unique contributions in a positive and caring way.....not the brash angry lashing out from our youth through some hip hop music.  Although I understand the reasons (they're not being heard), I don't excuse the behavior.  We have to be better---not for others but for ourselves.  This is not a white or black issue, this is a human issue--the way God sees us.

We are much more than slavery--our children should know that.  We are much more than entertainment--are children should know that.  We are about much more than acquiring wealth and fame--our children should know that.  We are or should be about community---lifting up each other, supporting each other, even the not so good, so that we can transform and create a place; create a presence; a respect in the larger community of good honest people in America.

Our history is who we are.  It is not a new outfit we can change at will or when we feel like it is okay to espouse.  People don't respect that--they respect commitment; loyalty; unselfishness; and love--all the qualities our children so desperately need today.

I will never stop shouting African American History no matter how circumspect I might appear to others because in my heart of hearts my reason is for the children......and as my beloved sister-in-law Cerita Evans used to say.....we are pushing and need to push a generation forward.  Love you Rita....rest in peace.

Help me to love our children, love you, love us and love me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos - Google+

Photos - Google+ I am loving the idea of making wreaths.  I love artsy-craftsy things and designing them.  Having fun learning about  how to make things for the home.

God's Wonderful Creation

I have found a slice of heaven on earth at least for me that is. I decided that I needed to get closer to God so I started communing with him at the beach everyday--early in the morning. What was so great about this was when I finished reading, praying and praising God, I got so much clarity about my life and life in general. It was a great experience, one I wondered why it took me so long to figure out. Anyway, after going to the beach I decided to up the anty and try a well-known garden hide-away in Chicago called the Japanese gardens. I have been going there for about a week now and decided, since I'm a somewhat amateur photographer to document my time there in my journal and through pictures. Here are a few pics I took--I could not possibly capture all the magic and wonder of this place, but I did my best. I hope you like them. And yes, the place is as surreal as it looks. From this experience, all I can say is find a "special" place to meet with God daily. Yo

What in the World is the World Coming To?

As a matter of fact! Been thinking about what is happening in the world and wanted to share with you some of my concerns. Why am I being such a "Debbie Downer?" Because I believe that it is important that young people understand what is going on in the world and how they can make changes to it. "Ignorance is not bliss." If they are inheriting this world, they need to start thinking about their part in it and how they can make change to make a better world. Watch the videos below about some of the concerns I have. These are just a few but a good start. "Drinking and Driving Drunk"