Skip to main content

Technology, Oh Technology

I'm frustrated with the way African American students are learning technology. Not because they aren't learning any but because they are not getting the high-end type.

Most of the schools I have taught at don't seem to really know and understand what technology is all about and what students should and could be learning. This is not because they are ignorant or unintelligent, but because for technology you really have to be in it to understand it and as a teacher who has been teaching for many years, I feel I have gotten a grasp of what the needs are for students regarding this genre.

Our students seem to still be on the computer applications level and within in that they are still just learning how to use Microsoft Word effectively. Most students know how to change the font, add a picture, etc. but those lower level skills are not the types of things that businesses and infrastructures need. In fact, students can teach themselves these skills. What students need is to know skills that can be utilized now, in a college setting and in a career. The use of Microsoft Word has not and cannot be exhausted. Along with this students should be able to know what skill to use in Microsoft Word and when. After Microsoft Office Products, students should learn applications that require them to use their higher order thinking skills, that forces them to reconstruct knowledge, add to existing knowledge and or create something new from what has been previously done. These types of programs consist of webdesign, graphic design, video and photo software, music and audio creation, etc.

Because of the cost of these products and the cost to put such an infrastructure into the schools along with the state mandating the basics of reading, writing and rithmetic, this leaves little opportunity and space to add these types of adventurouse technologies to the curriculum.

Even the aforementioned technologies and software are "old hat," but they are still programs that are in popular use today and can create and teach skills that are marketable and will jump start careers.

As a teacher, I vow to try to add a little more creativity to my agenda, even without being able to offer all the exotic and expensive software.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photos - Google+

Photos - Google+ I am loving the idea of making wreaths.  I love artsy-craftsy things and designing them.  Having fun learning about  how to make things for the home.

God's Wonderful Creation

I have found a slice of heaven on earth at least for me that is. I decided that I needed to get closer to God so I started communing with him at the beach everyday--early in the morning. What was so great about this was when I finished reading, praying and praising God, I got so much clarity about my life and life in general. It was a great experience, one I wondered why it took me so long to figure out. Anyway, after going to the beach I decided to up the anty and try a well-known garden hide-away in Chicago called the Japanese gardens. I have been going there for about a week now and decided, since I'm a somewhat amateur photographer to document my time there in my journal and through pictures. Here are a few pics I took--I could not possibly capture all the magic and wonder of this place, but I did my best. I hope you like them. And yes, the place is as surreal as it looks. From this experience, all I can say is find a "special" place to meet with God daily. Yo

Learning for learning's sake

Teaching has never been an easy job but in this stressful fast paced and hetic society and with the entertainment industry competing for our students attention, motivating students has become even more difficult. In fact, I believe the entertainment industry might be a notch ahead of us. But instead of worrying about what we cannot change, as educators, we need to step up our game. With all of the available technology and teaching knowledge, we should be in the forefront of the education revolution. I do not, however, advocate that we should merely begin to entertain students; that would be absurd. Education and entertainment our two different animals. One should not cancel the other out though. Why can't our students learn and be entertained at the same time? Like any industry, fun should be the icing on the cake--I am not one of those teachers who believes everything at everytime should be fun but I do believe we can make education more palatable especially with the techno